Diploma of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
Diploma of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine




Diploma of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine
Diploma of the Verkhovna Rada of Ukraine



United Hydrometeorological Station Kyiv (UHMS Kyiv)
03028 м. Kyiv-28, 39 Prospect Nauky, building 2, tel. (044) 525-89-73


The Joint Hydrometeorological Station is located in Kyiv on Nauky Avenue.
The station conducts two areas of observation: aerological and meteorological.ogmsKiev.jpg
  Aerological observations or temperature and wind sounding of the atmosphere are measurements of meteorological elements: temperature, humidity, pressure, wind direction and speed at different altitudes in the free atmosphere. The sounding is carried out by radiosondes. A ground-based radar station is a mandatory part of the observations.

The beginning of aerological observations dates back to the 30s of the last century.

In June 1941, due to military operations, aerological observations were suspended.

  In 1944, aerological observations were resumed and conducted at 14 Tolstoho Street. And since 1947, on Bagrynova Hora, since 1950 at the Civilian Aerometeorological Station (AMSC) - Zhulyany, since 1952 at the Kyiv Aerological Station on Velyka Kytaiivska Street (now Nauky Avenue).

Observations were carried out in 1935 using a short-wave radio receiver of the KUB-4 type and a radiosonde R-1082. Since 1947, with the SON-2 radar station and the Molchanov RZ-49 comb radiosonde. In August 1958, the SON-2 station was replaced by the Malachite radiotheodolite with the A-22 radiosonde.


In January 1964, actinometric observations were carried out at the station. They were carried out on Wednesdays and Fridays at 23 hours of Moscow time by the Meteor radar station and the ARZ radiosonde.

Since May 1965, temperature and wind observations were carried out using the Meteor radar station and the A-60 radiosonde.

In June 1970, the Meteor station was replaced by the Meteorite station and the RKZ-1a radiosonde.

In June 1977, Meteorit-2 was installed together with the RKZ-5 radiosonde and the OKA-3 rangefinder, which allowed automating the processing of aerological information. Since April 1984, the processing of aerological information with the help of OKA-3 was canceled due to the introduction of a new radiosonde MARZ-2-2.

In December 1987, the station introduced the AOK-1 sounding system (Titan-MRZ), designed for temperature and wind radio sounding with automatic data processing.

Until 1996, the station was sounded with Russian-made radiosondes (Sverdlovsk, now Yekaterinburg).

Since 1996, the Lviv enterprise "Tekhprylad" has started production of domestic radiosondes PAZA.

Since 01.08.2018, sounding has been carried out by the radiotheodolite UL-PAZA12, manufactured by Lviv Enterprise "Tekhprylad".

The sounding from 01.05.2021 is again carried out 2 times a day.

(from 04.03.2020 to 30.04.2021 - one-time)


The first head and founder of the Aerological Service of Ukraine was Tymofii Kyrylovych Bohatyr.

From 1947 to 1958 - Hryhorii Ivanovych Shestakov.

From 1958 to 1972 - Mykhailo Galchenko.

From 1972 to 1975 - Viktor Petrovych Andrienko.

From 1975 to 1977: Leonid Mohyla.

From 1977 to 1980 Mykola Kolisnyk.
From 1980 to 1987 - Oleksandr Volkhanovych Volkhanovych.

From 1988 to 2001 - Tamara Tarasova.

Since 2002, Nadiia Vasylivna Gapichenko has been the head of the station.   

Meteorological observations are measurements of meteorological elements and their fluctuations, as well as assessments of the quality of atmospheric phenomena.

Regular meteorological observations began in Kyiv in May 1855 with the organization of the meteorological observatory at St. Volodymyr's University and were conducted four times a day. Observations were made on the state of the air, temperature, humidity, wind strength and direction, clouds, precipitation, minimum temperature at night and maximum temperature during the day.

The thermometers were initially installed near a window on the second floor of the observatory building at a height of 6.7 m above the ground, and a rain gauge without wind protection in the observatory yard. The maximum and minimum temperatures were determined by a thermometer, and the wind direction was determined by a weather vane installed on the roof of the observatory building, in 1875 at a height of 12 m above the ground, and since 1882 at a height of 14 m.

The station was interrupted only during the Second World War (from August to November 1943).

The first director of the observatory was E.O. Knorr, as the observatory belonged to the university's physics department from its foundation until 1925.
After the war, the station (of the 17th type) was located in the same place, but was merged with the hydrological station.
Organizationally, the station was divided into a hydrological station of the 16th type and a meteorological station of the 10th type on September 13, 1950. The head of the meteorological station until 1954 was T.O. Ryabchenko, and from 1955 to 1969 - I.B. Voskoboinyk.    

In 1956, the station became part of the meteorology department of the restored observatory. I.B. Voskoboinyk remained the head of the meteorology group until 1969.

From 1969 to 1984 the meteorological group was headed by L.I. Denysovych.

In 1981, the meteorological station was moved to the southern outskirts of Kyiv and located in the building of the aerological station at 37 Nauky Avenue.

In 1983, the meteorological group became part of the aerological station and was named the United Hydrometeorological Station (UHMS Kyiv).

From 1984 to 1988, V.S. Koloda was a senior meteorological technician, from 1988 to 1995 - L.M. Pasichna, from 1996 to 2003 - V.V. Pasko, in 2004 - O.O. Ukrainets, from 01.04.2005 - Larysa Zhuravel.

    The Kyiv Observatory is included in the list of reference climatic stations. Observations are carried out eight times a day. The station carries out both basic meteorological observations and additional radiometric observations (for gamma background, radioactivity of precipitation by tablet, radioactive air pollution by filter-ventilation unit), and precipitation chemistry.
New instruments were introduced at the station: MARK-60 anemorumbometer, BAR atmospheric pressure gauge, automated precipitation gauge VOA-1M, electronic temperature and humidity converter HMIP-45D, electronic bare area temperature sensors and electronic depth thermometers. 01.11.2011 the ARM-METEO program was installed, 28.11.2011 the FTP program for data transmission to the Ukrainian Hydrometeorological Center.
The station staff consists of 17 people (6 meteorologists, 10 aerologists).
In 2005, the station was awarded the WMO (World Meteorological Organization) Certificate of Appreciation and the Hydrometeorological Service of Ukraine Certificate of Honor for high performance in fulfilling the sounding plan (according to the plan, 25% of all probes of the Hydrometeorological Service of Ukraine were to be launched, but in fact 28% were launched).
The Sectoral State Archive of Hydrometeorological Observations has been storing aerological observations since 1945 and meteorological observations since 1866.

© 2024, ЦГО. Використання матеріалів сайту дозволяється тільки з дозволу керівництва центральної геофізичної обсерваторії

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.